Aalto University is a new university with over a century of experience. Created from a high-profile merger between three leading universities in Finland – the Helsinki School of Economics, the Helsinki University of Technology and the University of Art and Design Helsinki – Aalto University opens up new possibilities for strong multi-disciplinary education and research. The university’s ambitious goal is to rank among the top universities in the world in its areas of specialization. At Aalto, there are 20,000 students and a staff of 4,500 including 340 professors.
Aalto University School of Science invites applications for:
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITIONS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
The research and education at the Aalto University Department of Computer Science and Engineering covers broadly the fields of computer science, software engineering and data communication. The department currently has 13 professors and approximately 150 researchers, teachers, full-time doctoral students, and staff members. Please seehttp://cse.aalto.fi/ for more information about the department. The open postdoctoral positions are in the following areas:
1) Software Systems and Technology. We are seeking candidates in the following or related areas:
- Databases, transaction processing and algorithm engineering
- Distributed systems, linked data and complex event processing
- Embedded systems, compiler technologies, multicore programming and energy efficiency
- Computing education research, educational technology and software visualization.
For additional information, please contact the Head of the Department, professor Heikki Saikkonen, tel. +358 50 337 7528, or professor Eljas Soisalon-Soininen tel. +358 50 550 5306, professor Jorma Tarhio tel. +358 50 306 2876 or professor Lauri Malmi, tel. +358 50 577 2176, e-mail: email@example.com.
2) Mobile Computing and Security. We are seeking candidates to postdoc research scientist positions in the areas of cloud computing, Internet of Things, distributed applications and services, energy-aware communications, Green ICT, mobile networking and security.
For additional information, please contact professor Tuomas Aura, tel. +358 50 308 1702, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concerning 1) and 2): We typically address these subject areas from the technical systems research viewpoint and our research incorporates hands on verification through proof-of-concept implementations and measurements in addition to simulations and mathematical modeling and analysis. We encourage applicants from various backgrounds to apply: you can be a specialist in one of the above outlined research areas or you can be a generalist working on a higher level of the systems research fields listed above. We are also looking for interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary talent.
3) Software Engineering. We are seeking candidates to postdoc research scientist positions in the area of empirical software engineering. We are looking for applicants with solid background in software engineering research and a track record of applying empirical research methods. Applicants focused on global software engineering, scaling lean and agile development, industrial software testing, requirements engineering, software architectures or product line and variability management are particularly encouraged to apply. For additional information, please contact professor Casper Lassenius, tel. +358 40 3500 194, or Tomi Männistö, tel. +358 50 551 5463, e-mail: email@example.com.
In recruitment process related questions, please contact the HR Coordinator Kristina Mustonen, tel. + 358 50 4674327, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Post-doctoral researchers are appointed for a fixed term of 2 to 3 years. They should have a doctoral degree. The positions are ideal for recent doctoral graduates as well as those with postdoctoral experience who want to develop both their research agenda and teaching portfolio. The post-doctoral researchers are expected to carry out scholarly research in their field and integrate with some of the research groups in the department (for more information of the groups, see http://cse.aalto.fi/research/groups/). They are also expected to participate in teaching in the undergraduate or post-graduate level in their own area of expertise. Fluent English is essential as many of our students are international and the courses are given in English.
The salary is determined based on experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University. As a living and working environment, Finland is consistently ranked highly in quality-of-life and competitiveness studies. According to a Newsweek study in 2010, it is the best country in the world to live. According to an OECD study in 2007, it is the 2nd happiest place in the world. Based on a 2011 report by Monocle Magazine, Helsinki is the best city in the world to live in, and the Economist Intelligence Unit livability ranking laced it the 7th in 2011. Finland has also been ranked the 4th in the Global Competitiveness Index 2011-2012 of the World Economic Forum and the 2nd best in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2011 of Transparency International 2011. Aalto University offers support for moving in Finland. Some information is available at: http://www.aalto.fi/en/for/international/
The applications for the positions are to be addressed to the Head of Department of Computer Science and Engineering by email in a single pdf-file to the registry of Aalto University, email@example.com, consisting of:
- an application letter
- curriculum vitae including contact information
- list of publications
- current personal research statement in at most four pages
- five most significant research publications or reports
- summary of the applicant’s teaching experience
- contact information of 2-3 persons for references
- any other material relevant to the application.
The application materials should be in English.
Closing date for applications: 29th February 2012
Aalto University reserves the right for to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted application during the application period.
The application materials will not be returned.